Friday, April 22, 2016

Natural lighting


I'm taking an advanced photography class at our local community college right now. Our homework for our first week is to take pictures of our subject in natural lighting from 3 different angles - back, side, and direct and using a reflector, a diffuser, and natural. Also, we are supposed to take the photos at the golden hour. So, I thought I would shared some of my pictures I've been working on with you all. We have to share the picture exactly as it comes off the camera - no editing allowed.
The above picture is of my subject back lit - no diffuser or reflector. Pictured below is with a reflector in front of her face. Below that is with a diffuser.


Yes, that is one of my chickens in the background, lol.
The picture below was taken on a cloudy day, so I didn't have to use a diffuser because the clouds acted as my diffuser. I love the soft even light. I am definitely not a fan of the harsh lighting that direct light creates.


 

The picture above and the picture down below are of my subject in direct light with a diffuser. I can't decide which one I like best for class. I just have such cute kids:)



The picture above is of my subject in direct light with a reflector slightly behind and to the side. I don't think the reflector did much for him at that angle.
In the below picture my subject is unhappily in direct sunlight.


The next few photos are of my subject in side lighting - first diffused, then direct, then reflected. My white balance is off in the first picture because I forgot to change it after I used the diffuser. I love the look on his face though and the white balance is an easy fix in any editing program.


I am definitely not a fan of the harsh side light below.


The reflector on the shadow side of his face helps soften some of those harsh shadows from the sun. Once he noticed the reflector though all he wanted to do was play with it and I couldn't get any more pictures.


So, that's what I've been working on this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment